Impress Mom with these Elegant, Simple-to-Make Recipes
Mom’s Mojitos & Springtime Sangria
2 ounces light rum
2 teaspoons sugar
6-8 fresh mint leaves
Splash club soda
1 lime cut in half
1. Place the sugar, mint leaves, and a splash of club soda into a highball glass
2. Muddle well to dissolve the sugar and to release the flavor of the mint
3. Squeeze the juice from both halves of a lime into the glass, dropping one half into the glass
4. Add the rum, stir well
5. Fill the glass with ice cubes and top with club soda, Garnish with a mint sprig
For a non-alcoholic version, replace the red wine and brandy with cranberry-grape juice.
2 bottles red wine
1 cup brandy
1 cup orange juice
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water, heated until sugar dissolves, cooled)
Mix all ingredients together and let stand in a tightly sealed container or pitcher overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Chicken, Broccoli, and Mushroom Quiche
2 cups cooked and diced rotisserie chicken
1 ½ cups mushrooms, sautéed
1 ½ cups broccoli florets, cooked
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Homemade or purchased deep-dish pie dough
1. Bake the pie crust in a 375-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly brown. (This step is important to ensure the bottom doesn’t become soggy.)
2. Place the cooked chicken, sautéed’ mushrooms, and broccoli in the cooked pie crust. Add the cheddar and Swiss cheeses.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together heavy cream, eggs, salt, pepper, and ground nutmeg. Pour over chicken/broccoli mixture.
4. Bake in 375-degree oven for 55-60 minutes or until the center is set and top is golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sliced strawberries or a tomato and cucumber salad.
Lastly, finish the meal with a sweet treat of French macarons or a slice of cheesecake from the local bakery.