Designers Bring Back Sophistication and Polish with a Touch of Sparkle
Fall fashion for 2019 transports us from more conceptual concepts to a style code paying homage to the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. Vogue magazine says that looks will include more refined silhouettes with skirt-cum-culottes, blazers, sharply pleated trousers, tailoring and trench coats. The key is creating coherent looks with precise cuts.
Tulsa fashion maven and design manager at Saks Fifth Avenue, Amanda Viles, agrees. “The vibe on the runways is a great mix of sexy effortlessness and precision luxury. A lot of leathers, python prints, rich neutrals and metallics paired with heritage scarf prints, capes and satchel bags. It’s a very ‘rich’ looking season that’s ladylike but also edgy,” said Viles.
Each season, Saks’ fashion directors in New York City create an “It List,” outlining the trends as seen during fashion week and all the runway shows. Roopal Patel, Saks’ senior vice president and fashion director says that designers are bringing the glamour with something chic for every woman.
The “It List” for Women:
- Scarf Prints & Capes – traditional prints and silhouettes make a comeback
- Everyday Leather – full leather-on-leather looks are better together
- Python Print – this embossed look instantly upgrades any look
- Heavy Metal – gleaming metallic reinvented for everyday
- The Satchel – the ultimate modern-day bag gets reinvented for right now
- The Minimal Bag – clean lines compliment the season’s refined tailoring
- The Tall Boot – the shoe of the season comes in an array of colors and textures
- The Combat Boot – cargo pockets and fresh hardware deliver a ‘90s inspired edge
- The New Neutrals – a palette of cream, camel and burgundy allows for luxe versatility
- Crystal Clear – sleek silhouettes meet dazzling embellishments
- Precision Tailoring
Women’s Pieces to Buy Now:
- Leather – Trousers, pants, blazers and pleated skirts. For a double dose of the fall trend, find your new leather pieces in a metallic color.
- Metallic – A favorite and fun to fabric to incorporate into your wardrobe. Don’t be afraid to add some sparkle to your daytime looks with deep rich metallics in grey, black or burgundy.
- Boots – Always a fall must have. Viles recommends the tall boot in a rich suede because it is timeless, sophisticated, and classic but also sexy.
Women’s Colors for Fall and Winter:
- Neutrals including Cream, Camel and Burgundy
- Scarf Prints
- Animal Prints and Fur
Women’s Trends for Accessories, Bags and Jewelry:
- Minimal Bag or Traditional Leather Satchel
- Anything in Python
- Boots – Tall and Sleek or Combat
The “It List” for Men:
- The Tailored Bazer
- Knit Wit Knitted Sweaters
- Statement Outerwear
- Call of the Wild Prints
- Ankle Boots
Men’s Colors for Fall and Winter:
- Animal Prints and Fur
- Statement Prints
Amanda’s 5 Style Tips for Next Level Fabulous:
- Break out of your comfort zone by adding metallic pieces to your daytime look. This can include metallic embellishments or a fabric. It can be a dress that you might wear out in the evening but paired with a cardigan and belt or blazer for a more dressed down look.
- Get something in leather and be sure it fits you properly. It will instantly upgrade your look. A leather jacket doesn’t have to be a coat – it can easily be a blazer. Leather leggings are a great investment and will last for years. If you don’t like leather, there are a lot of great faux leather alternatives.
- Mix your neutrals and textures for an almost monochromatic but not monotone look. It’s rich and sophisticated. Think cream trousers, cream cashmere sweater, camel jacket or coat and suede boots. Head to toe navy or burgundy but all different fabrics such as silk, wool and leather.
- Pick up a python or animal print piece. It could be clothing or an accessory. Think of animal prints as a neutral piece that you can wear with anything.
- Visit your tailor. Make sure your pieces fit you well. This makes a huge difference in how things look on you.
Stylist Amanda Viles is the Women’s Ready-to-Wear manager at Saks in Tulsa. To see any of the items featured in this article, visit Saks or purchase online at SaksFifthAvenue.com.
Photographer Michael McRuiz is a Tulsa-based photographer and professor. He specializes in photographing the human form and nature. A portfolio of his work can be found at Michael-McRuiz.com.
Artist Melissa Key created the abstract art in the leather jacket photos on Instagram at #melissakeyabstractart.